Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bergdorf Blondes (Plum Sykes).

Before you navigate away from my blog, please give Bergdorf Blondes a chance (okay, male readers, maybe you don't have to, but girlfriends, hang in there with me). Plum Sykes is a talented author who started her writing career at British Vogue in 1993. A mere four years later, Sykes became a contributing fashion editor to American Vogue. She worked with fashion editor, Anna Wintour, one of the most powerful, terrifying and intelligent women in the world of fashion. Working at Vogue under the tutelage of Wintour gave Sykes the experiences she needed to cultivate her writing skills.

Sykes's experiences at Vogue paved the way for her first novel, which was based on the New York fashion scene. Bergdorf Blondes chronicles the adventures of Julie Bergdorf (the heiress of the Bergdorf department store) and her posse. Julie's best friend (who is only given the title of Moi instead of a first name) is the narrator of the book and the sassy brunette who documents all of the goings-on in the world of fashion. The story essentially follows the young women on their journeys through life, love, adulthood and the Chanel and Cartier sample sales.

This book was one of the first to catapult into the "chick lit" genre. You know the type: books that are the perfect beach read, full of fashion jargon, Gossip Girl-like plots and witty banter. The exception with Bergdorf Blondes is that it's incredibly well-written, giving the novel credibility and allowing it to fulfill the "lit" requirement of the nicknamed genre. Sykes's voice comes through clearly in the book; though Julie and Moi flit around New York, seemingly without a care in the world, the tone used in the novel conveys Sykes's understanding that there is more to obsess over in this world than this season's Marc Jacobs heels or MAC's new lipgloss. There is a down-to-earth sentiment in the midst of the chaos and superficiality of Julie and Moi's lives.

I actually set aside my more intense reads (a few Dave Eggers books I'm reading, as well as a C.S. Lewis pick) while on vacation at home this weekend and re-read Bergdorf Blondes to give my brain a break. I was consumed by the genius of Sykes's reading; I forgot how much I enjoyed the book. I finished it in two days. It's that good.

You definitely have to be in the mood for something as lighthearted as this but know that if you're seeking some quintessential chick lit, this is the book for you. I especially love that the plot is peppered with perfectly crafted pop culture references. Here are some of my favorite examples:
  • If Nicole Kidman could look that glamorous while she was divorcing Tom Cruise, I could smile my way through a few unreturned phone calls. But it's really hard, you know. I realized that day that actresses like Nicole really deserve all those free clothes because looking blissfully happy when your blood is turning to tears in your veins is extremely skilled work. I say, Nicole didn't deserve an Oscar, she deserves the Nobel Prize. (Sykes 94)
  • "Hi. I'm Jazz-eee," she said flirtatiously. "I have a proper book question. You know that book, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius? Do you know if Dave Eggers, the author, is, like, single still?" (Sykes 229)
  • The fact is that when you're down, it doesn't matter how many Bellinis and ball gowns you have, it doesn't make a jot of difference. Chloe jeans and Alpha-Beta peels don't make the nasty things go away. You have to live with the nasty things forever, like Liza Minelli does. (Sykes 244)
  • Sometimes I wonder if I can get a divorce from Mom. I could cite irreconcilable differences over relations with our neighbor. Apparently Drew Barrymore did that and she turned out really well. (Sykes 264)
  • Defeated, I let the car roll as far as it could onto the grass verge. I got out and sat slumped on the hood in a moody, Kelly Osbourne-style huff. (Sykes 268)
Though the content may not be completely stimulating, this book is completely entertaining. If you can't hop on a cruise or jet out to a beach, reading this book is the perfect vacation your mind needs from the grind of everyday life.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I'm officially intrigued and have already added the book to my "must read" list for the summer. Thanks for the recommendation!